Today I embarked on a snowshoeing adventure with my dogs. In order to fuel myself properly I started off the day with yummy muffins. Here's the recipe and a few pictures. Enjoy!
Davidson is investigating the best way to go!
Look all the amazing snow! I love it!
Maggie's snout is covered!
My husband, Robert, loves his birdhouses. Here is one of many!!
There was lots of elevation on my hike. Good for the glutes!
Sunday Morning Moist Banana Muffins
1 cup quick cooking oats1 cup plain rice or almond milk1 cup whole wheat flour1/2 cup ground flax seed1 teaspoon each baking powder and soda1/2 teaspoon each cloves, cinnamon and allspice1 teaspoon lemon zestpinch sea salt1/2 cup pure maple syrup4 egg whites beaten until foamy but not stiff1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 large bananas)2 teaspoons vanilla extract1/2 cup plain yogurt1 cup blueberries1 large apple cut into pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line muffin tin with parchment paper liners
3. Place oats in medium prep bowl and pour milk over. Mix and let stand while you make the rest of the recipe.
4. In another medium prep bowl combine flour, ground flax seed, spices, baking powder and soda, lemon zest and salt. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Set aside.
5. Put egg whites in mixing bowl and beat until fluffy but not stiff.
6. In small prep bowl mash bananas and add chopped apple. Mix well.
7. In large prep bowl combine flour, soaked oats, egg whites and banana mixture. Add blueberries. Fold until all ingredients are just blended.
8. Spoon into prepared muffin tin.
9. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Yield: Makes 12 generous muffins to enjoy on a sunny Saturday with delicious coffee.