Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 5 of 25 Days of Giving

How is the giving going? We're 5 days in with 20 more to go. What fabulous "gives" are you giving?

Today's GIVE:
I am making kefir and giving the cultures to my friend to start her own batch.

Try this "give" by reading the recipe below or share one of your own.

Kefir Recipe:

Tools:

2 to 3 quart jars (sterilized)
Sieve
Spoon

Ingredients:
4 Tbsp kefir grains
1 cup milk

Methods:
1. Add kefir grains and milk into 1 sterilized jars,
2. Gently stir the mixture and then leave it to sit for 12-24 hours in room temperature heat. You'll know the culture is ready when the mixture has thickened. You may also see some separation, which is normal.
3. Drain the liquid out of the mixture by gently stirring the grains in a sieve. Do not press the grains as this will destroy them. Drain the liquid into a container with a lid for storage in the fridge.
4. You can repeat the process by placing the grains is another clean jar and adding milk as in step 1.
5. As you make more and more kefir, your grain supply will grow. Share the grains with friends or dry and store them in a plastic bag for 8-10 months.

2 comments:

Jingles said...

Day 5 saw me giving time, talent, fun, and experience to our family's mince meat pie making exploits.
Clean Eating today helped me to stay firm in my holiday fitness resolve. Kept me in a good mood to bless my kids with their time of fun.

Anonymous said...

I tried Kefir for the first time this morning, it is weird stuff. What are the nutrition gains from this stuff?